Here are some basic steps for creating a quadrant which represents your community:
- Obtain a list of voters from your local Board of Elections.
- Obtain a list of active patrons from Millennium. (You may want patrons who are active in the last six months or the last year.)
- Cross-reference the lists to determine how many individuals fall into the categories listed in the matrix above. [Note: Most libraries have done the cross-referencing by hand. Several have employed the help of volunteers in doing this task. The activity can be cumbersome, but the results are invaluable.]
- Record the number of individuals who fall within each quadrant of the matrix.
- Determine how many likely “yes” voters you have. [This is determined by totaling the number of individuals in the following categories: Voter/High Library Use and Voter/Low Library Use.]
- Consider how you might convert additional Registered Voters/Non Library Users into supporters.